Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Summer Maxi's Last Hurrah

Hi everyone! I've added the word "Petite" to the name of my blog; it's a more accurate description.  I'm 5 feet one and one-half inches (that half inch is important when you're this short); my size combined with my age create a whole host of problems when attempting to be fashionable on a retiree's budget.  Petite clothing is difficult to find not only locally, but online. Alterations can get expensive and aren't always successful.  I could go on, but you get the idea.




Wow, are these stripes bold! Are they too bold for my petite frame? Some things you just don't know until you see yourself in a photo. 

The last chance to wear this black and white summer maxi -- Friday night drinks and dinner. I hope maxis will still be fashionable next summer;  any ideas to make this work into autumn?  Suggestions are appreciated.

The bracelets are vintage; I combined a necklace and pendant to create a new statement necklace.  Although I'm not too crafty, I think this works ... yeah! But, is it too much with this dress?

The details:
Dress:  Ruby Rd.
Sandals:  Italian Shoemakers
Necklace: Vintage triple strand necklace plus a vintage pendant combined to make a statement necklace.
Bracelets: Vintage
Clutch: Hobo
Where I wore it: Out for drinks and dinner

We are still struggling with lighting; too much light with these photos, I think. Friday's humidity frizzed my hair, while Thursday's heat and humidity flattened it (see Dog Days post). Will I ever get my hair right for these photos? 

Thanks for stopping by! Comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Norma VanV

Linking with Patti's Visible Monday @http://notdeadyetstyle.blogspot.com


15 comments:

  1. Hi, Norma. Yes I know what you are talking about. I am 5 feet 2 myself, tho.

    That maxi is stunning. And No the stripes are not too bold. They work perfect for you. You look very elegant. And I also think the new statement necklace works very well too. To me, everything looks perfect. Including sandals, clutch, your hair and the happy smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the stripes are perfect, Norma and the dress looks terrific on you. Great for a summer evening out. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stripes look fantastic on you! And I wouldn't worry about your hair... it looks just fine - we are always our worst critic. It's easy for me to say, since I go on and on and on about my hair in my post as well!!! But I love your dress and your hair :)
    xo ~kim & chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the dress is fabulous. I am thinking a short, trendy white or blue denim jacket for fall. Or maybe a black shrug sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions! I have a black denim jacket and, based on your suggestion, I'll give it a try!

      Delete
  5. I like the bold stripes, and I think you balanced the jewelry well with that. Don't worry about the lighting and your hair - sometimes it's just "warts and all"! I only take 3-4 pictures for my post, max, so there have been some unfortunate shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice for a night out. I do like the jewelry you've chosen to go with the maxi.
    I wonder if you could do boots and black blazer or jacket for cooler months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! Thanks for the suggestions. I have a black denim jacket and both short and tall boots. I'll give them a go!

      Delete
  7. What a beautifully patterned dress. It looks awesome on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to meet you! You have an inch and a half on me, so we are short girls together. This dress; not a bit too much print for your frame! It may be that the eye is always directed inward. And not too much jewelry with your dress. You have very practiced eye!
    Lovely on you, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Nice to meet another petite. I'm curious to hear of your shopping successes, as well as your failures. We should compare notes.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely love this maxi dress! Stripes are FAB!

    ReplyDelete