Wednesday, October 9, 2013

3's Not Always a Crowd and Last Tuesday's Thrift Haul

First off, my attempt to go quasi-cowgirl with some previously thrifted items.




I'm looking for a thin western belt but haven't found one yet. I tried a wider belt, but that look didn't work for me; it really accentuated my pear-shape. I think one more necklace would look better -- 3 isn't always a crowd. Adding a coral bracelet, or just moving the turquoise bracelet to the watch arm, may also look better. Thoughts, comments, critiques are welcome!

The details:
Jeans: Thrifted Ann Taylor Loft see here
Shirt: Thrifted Talbots see here
Belt: Talbots purchased years ago
Watch: Fossil purchased a few years ago
Bracelet, Necklaces: Lucky Brand (relatively new)
Boots: Sofft (one or two years old)

Now, last week's thrift haul.
A lighter weight off-white sweater and a brown wool houndstooth skirt.


A dark navy wool skirt with large button pocket closures.
A ruffly black skirt and an off-white sweater with a velvet neckline ruffle. The sweater is Peck & Peck, not the original Peck & Peck but the SteinMart version; it was never worn and has its original tags.

A vintage turquoise wool skirt. This item really exemplifies what has happened with vanity sizing.  It fits like today's large size 4 or small size 6 but is sized 11-12.

An Oscar de la Renta black & white graphic silk blouse, slightly askew on the dress form. :-)


Off-white trousers, which look great with the Oscar silk blouse, but are in serious need of cleaning and pressing. These aren't a perfect fit, but better than many thrift and/or new that I have tried.


A Kate Spade handbag and  black suede Nine West flats, slightly reminiscent of pilgrim shoes, but I like them anyway. The handbag has some wear and I'm not certain whether I will actually use it; I may just display it with my other Kate Spade items.


I hope this Anthropologie skirt can be saved; it has a few minor (I think) tears to the open cutwork. At the price I paid, it was worth the chance; I'll take it to the alterations shop and see what the owner thinks can be done to save this gorgeous skirt.

And last:

I'm not certain exactly what these are -- they're too long and wide legged for capris, too short for trousers, not short enough for gauchos -- but I couldn't resist. When I stepped out of the dressing room at the Goodwill Boutique to see if there were strappy sandals to try with the ?trousers?, everyone in the shop exclaimed at how fabulous they looked. One woman told me if I didn't buy them, she would. I'm working on a way to style these and hope it works.

Thrifted details:
Lightweight sweater: Talbots $3.49
Brown herringbone skirt: Talbots $3.49
Navy skirt: Talbots $3.49
Ruffle sweater: Peck & Peck $14.99
Ruffle skirt: Papillon Blanc $9.99
Vintage turquoise skirt: Joyce Sportswear $1.99
Silk blouse: Oscar de la Renta $3.49
Off-white trousers: Talbots $1.99
Handbag: Kate Spade $3.00
Shoes: Nine West $3.00
Cutwork bird skirt: Anthropologie Lithe $1.99
?Trousers?: Chico's $12.99

If anyone knows anything about the Chico's ?trousers? (they are marked Travelers), let me know.

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome.

Norma VanV


4 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness!! Norma you hit again the jackpot! How the heck do you do that I wanna know. Kate Spade bag, Gee! that's an gorgeous bag (color me green with envy) another Oscar de la Renta piece. And such a fabulous one. An awesome Anthropologie skirt. Wow! Wow! and again Wow! And you look truly like a real cowgirl, sweetie. Hmm about the necklaces, I would only wear the pendant one, and yes! definitely move the bracelet to the watch arm. But that's just me, tho. You really rock, Norma.
    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya! I've really been lucky at the thrift stores. The women who work at the Goodwill Boutique and the women's charitable organization recognize me now. They tell me that they receive new items every day; now it's difficult for me to thrift shop just once a week knowing that new items are waiting.
      Thanks for your opinion about the necklaces and bracelet; I really appreciate it! And yes, you're right, just the pendant would work!

      Delete
  2. Just a thought Norma, couldn't you ask the Ladies to save some specific items for you? It would only be for a couple of days, tho maybe they'll be so kind.
    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea, Lenya. When I pulled the Chico's Asian trousers from the rack at the Goodwill Boutique, the lady in attendance told me she thought of me when she put them out for sale that morning. And this week, the lady at the women's charitable org upscale resale store pointed out some new jewelry. In other words, I think I'm beginning to develop a good relationship with those two stores. BTW, I styled the Asian trousers and will blog about it early this week.

      Delete