Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Animal Print, Thrift Finds, and a Duh Moment

Tuesday afternoons have become my thrift shopping times, so today's outfit is another easy on/easy off getup.

I wore this dress at the end of August for a Friday dinner date with my husband. This time I went casual, and following Lisa's (the thrifting queen of Dreamz-n-Wishz) wise advice, added a blouse underneath for trying on skirts/pants. Simply accessorized with flats, a necklace and a watch (I tend to lose track of time when shopping at thrift stores).

The details
Dress: Calvin Klein
Blouse: Anne Klein
Shoes: Nine West Vintage America Collection
Necklace: Old and unknown
Watch:  Fossil

The Duh Moment
Over this last weekend I planned to photograph the thrift finds of the week. As I was gathering items together, it dawned on me that I had a perfectly good antique dress form in the attic. DUH! Why didn't I think of this sooner??? Previously, I collected antique and vintage clothing and displayed items on the dress form. Unfortunately, after a few months both my husband and I found the dress form to be a little creepy (it sometimes startled us because of its human-like shape), so off it went to the attic. Well, I've rescued it from the attic, but will keep it put away when not in use. It's not perfect but it's in pretty good shape for its age. The tripod stand and the cap at the top are black painted cast iron, although some of the paint is chipped away. The fabric that covers the form is spotted and  in very delicate shape. The dress form is currently wearing an old camisole and half slip. I think she needs new lingerie!

BTW, I know the baseboard and wall are in need of fresh paint! The drop-down stairs to the attic are directly above the dress form and the wall there takes a little beating when items are moved up or down. (I think I created a new spot or two with the cast iron legs -- oops.) It's on the hubby to-do list and you know what that means.

Thrift Finds From Last Week
Lots of items found their way home with me last week. First up, items from the charitable organization for women:



A brown tweed straight skirt. This skirt will work with many items I already own.



A pale yellow sweater. I own just one item of yellow clothing -- a pair of jeans; I never thought it would be a great color on me but I decided to give this a try. I'm discovering that thrifting is a great way to try something different.

And this skirt.


This beautiful embroidered wool skirt should look great with boots this winter. I think I have the perfect suede jacket to wear with it.

From the Goodwill Boutique:

This striped shirt looks great with the tweed skirt. It's funny how that works -- you get home with items and find that they work together!



Both of the above photos are of the same fine wale corduroy shirt, but the color certainly looks different in the photos. The second photo is more accurate of the true coral color. I'm not certain how I'll use this shirt, but was drawn to the color and fabric for fall.

The thrifted details
Tweed skirt: Ann Taylor $14.99
Sweater: Talbots $9.99
Wool embroidered skirt: Talbots $9.99
Striped shirt: Talbots $9.99
Corduroy:  Talbots $12.99

I found a few more items at the regular Goodwill store and I'll post those tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome.

Norma VanV

10 comments:

  1. It's fun to dedicate one special day to thrifting as it give you something to look forward to. It is great to try new things at thrifted prices. I love the embroidered skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey for your kind comments! I'm new to thrifting and I'm having so much fun with it. Right now, it's tough to pass up items but I'm guessing I'll eventually be able to refine what I buy. Any input or strategic ideas are greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Great finds Norma. Love the blouses, so lovely.I just had to laugh at your duh! moment. well been there, done that. Isn't it funny, out of sight, out of mind. Glad you found it again. Makes it so nice to display all your great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress form for showing off your purchases! That skirt is fabulous - you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Sheila! The dress form seems to be working. I love that skirt and hope I can style to be worthy of its beauty.

      Delete