Thursday, September 12, 2013

Vintage Finds

Over the last couple of weeks, I've found a few thrift and vintage items (Sunday, I showcased the Stuart Weitzman shoes). Below are photos of the vintage items I found. First, a little babbling.

Recent discussion at Lenya's blog site Fashion Dreams and Lifestyle got me thinking about the goals for my own blog and in turn why I started blogging. Over the years, my body stayed pretty consistent and I think I knew what looked best on that body. But, and that's a huge BUT, my post menopause body is different than the body I've lived with most of my life. The pear-shape is much more dominant, my waist line is thicker and my bust smaller. I'm certain this change didn't occur overnight, but I really noticed the changes about 2 or 3 years ago. I've consistently exercised most of my adult life, and that has not changed (aerobic, step, cycling, walking, running, or lifting weights, 5-6 days per week) and my diet is healthy, although I occasionally indulge in the not so healthy (fats and sweets, adult beverages). So, changing my body through diet and exercise isn't the answer. I need to figure out how to dress this body I now have. And, that's why I started blogging. Also, as a recent retiree, I can have more fun with clothes and that's something new for me. (My former work life required a conservative wardrobe.) OK, enough babble. On with the clothes. Let's start with vintage.

This vintage Neiman Marcus wool coat should be fun to style this winter. I'm relatively new to "newer" vintage, but I think this could be from the 60's. (In the past, I collected a few pieces of vintage clothing -- Victorian through the 50's.) If anyone knows, please feel free to let me know. Here's a close up of the label.

Next, a wool pleated skirt, but photos don't do this justice. The inside label says alex colman california and I believe it's vintage 50's.

Vintage black suede shoes and a vintage belt follow. The shoes fit a little snug and may be a bit short, but I think I can wear them for short periods of time. I think the belt may be 80's.



I'm including the following Indian tunic/kurti in my vintage finds. It has deep slits on both sides and looks good with leggings. I think it may be 80's but it could be much newer.





The details:
Coat: Neiman-Marcus $36
Skirt: Alex Colman California $3
Shoes: Johansen $3
Belt: Rafael Sanchez $10
Tunic: Biba by Karuna & Shradha Khaitan $32

Thanks for visiting!  Comments/thoughts/critiques are always welcome.

Norma VanV

10 comments:

  1. Wow those first few items are all in the same color scheme. That NM coat is FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae! You're so right about the color scheme ... I actually didn't realize it! Yup, that coat! I need to play around with it to find the right look. I think a belt will do it justice!

      Delete
  2. I was just on the blog by Jan Graham McMillen and discovered there your blog. Now I've been here for a half an hour reading and am very excited :)
    Your bargains are incredibly beautiful. I can hardly believe that they are secon hand. The patterns and colors are totally in again, and the best thing is that you'll probably will not find anyone wearing the same thing like you! :)

    Sorry.. my english is very bad..

    Have a wonderful weekend
    Dana, Germany
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to meet you Dana! Thank you so much for stopping by. Your English is very good, not very bad! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great vintage finds, Norma. I especially love that tunic. Gorgeous. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I wore the tunic today with capri leggings; I'll try to post pix tomorrow. I got compliments from women I didn't know, so that's a good sign the look worked.

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Norma. Oh my Goodness!!! The coat is GORGEOUS! Can't wait seeing pics of you wearing it. Great finds Norma. I am impressed about your daily exercise. Wow!! Maybe I should take up some myself. It's exciting and fun to see how we all get along. To see the changes we make. As we become more courageous by the support of other bloggers I guess that's what it is all about. It's a chance to advance ourselves. In more ways than just fashion wise.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lenya and thanks! I realized when I was in my late 20's/early 30's that I loved food too much to remain on a diet ... exercise was an easier way for me to go! lol

      Good insight about blogging. It helps to have such encouragement and support from you and other kind bloggers like you and Lisa. Thank you so much for your continued support!

      Delete
  5. Great finds, especially love the colorful belt! ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I've got a few plans for that belt! And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete