Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thrift Finds and An Easy Peasy Outfit for Thrifting

Another week of thrift finds and, as long as the thrift gods are kind, I'll post these once a week. There is a one week delay from the time the thrift items are found and the time that I post, so these are from last week. The Easy Peasy outfit I wore for thrifting this week can be found at the bottom of this page.

Let's take a look at last weeks finds. To begin, a light weight fall coat:
I love this Ann Taylor 3/4 length coat; it's very dark brown, almost black. It's not warm enough for winter, but will work well into the fall.
Although the shoes look grey/black they are really navy on navy.  The belt is black and leopard print with silver buckle.  It wasn't a great bargain, but a very nice belt. It actually looks great with the Ann Taylor coat, above.

Again, blue just doesn't show well -- I don't know if it's the camera or the lighting. This shirt is a blue on off-white print and I don't believe was ever worn. Remember the Oscar de la Renta thrifted jacket from last week. For a pattern mix look, this shirt works great with the jacket and a solid blue skirt.

The following sweater has an issue.


It has a couple of stains on the right cuff; maybe I'll get lucky and the stains will come out. It's worth a try.




How else am I going to get a Brooks Brothers sweater for $9.99. This next gray sweater is 3/4 sleeves and will work nicely in my winter wardrobe.

I don't know about this next item. It fits perfectly, but I'm not sure about the dress style.


At the price, I had to give it a try. Later this week, or sometime next week, I'll try styling this dress, take a few pictures, and ask for your ideas and input.

I thrifted on Tuesday of this week and wore something easy to get in and out of. (I'll post new thrift items next week.) I also needed to run to the market when I got home and knew the outfit would be perfect for riding my grocery store bike. I wanted to take a photo of me with the bike. Unfortunately, my tires were flat, so I drove anyway. 
 The dress is a little too short -- I prefer a little longer -- but it's oh so easy to get in and out of and is very comfortable. I wore easy peasy fabric flats.
Briefly accessorized with skinny belt, necklace, and bracelet.

The details:
Thrifted
Coat: Ann Taylor $39.99
Shoes: Circa Joan & David $3.00
Belt: Brighton $14.99
Shirt: Talbots $9.99
Argyle Sweater: Brooks Brothers $9.99
Gray Sweater: Talbots $9.99
Dress: Talbots $7.50

Other Items
Dress: Soy Bu
Necklace: Added a chain to my 90's pin/broach
Belt: Unknown
Bracelet: Unknown
Shoes: Nine West

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear your comments and thoughts.

Norma VanV

7 comments:

  1. Norma, you are a thrifter par excellence! You have a great eye for quality and timeless prints and classics.

    My favourites are the Circa Joan & David shoes (what a score!), the leopard belt, and the Talbots dress. I bet the dress will look amazing on you!

    You dress like I do when I thrift - easy to slip in and out of, for sure! You have fabulous legs, so don't be shy about the hem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila (of thrifting royalty),
      Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments and compliments.
      Norma

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. My dark navy's nearly always tend to photograph black.
    You have found some wonderful thrifted pieces! Love that coat. You look so pretty in blue.
    My #1 concern when thrifting is wearing shoes that slip off easily, a light weight top that I can try jackets and blazers on over...and just generally things that are easy to get on and off...because I sometimes have a heaping cart full heading to the dressing room and I change with the speed of Clark Kent. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I realized once I got in the fitting room that a 2-piece outfit may have been a better choice than the dress, but then quickly decided that it gave me a reason to search the racks of shirts/tops!

      Delete
  4. Wow Norma you hit the jackpot! Your thrift items are beautiful, classy, timeless. I love every single piece of it. Especially the blouse. Lovely print. So elegant. And I love the dress you're wearing, don't think it's too short. Your legs are fine, no need to hide them. Love the small belt and the rest of the accessories. Can't wait to see pics of all the new things.
    Have a nice weekend
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya! Hope things are well with you and you're consistently connected again!

      Delete