Saturday, September 28, 2013

Oye como va? -- A Santana Homage

I'm not a stranger to skinny jeans, rock 'n roll, or a little edgier look. It's just not always appropriate for every day wear in my life -- not at the allergist's office, the market, the thrift shops, some luncheons, meetings, etc. Friday night cervezas with my husband before a quiet dinner at home -- you betcha!




I've read that Marilyn Monroe, after dressing, would always remove one item. I didn't think of Marilyn at the time, but I removed 2 items before we left home for the local pub.  The above picture was taken before I removed the leather banded watch.



And the picture above was taken before I removed the necklace. I also fixed the wonky seams of the skinny jeans and the uneven pushed up sleeves of the blazer before I left home!

Close-up photo of my Santana shirt, above. Manufacturer and date unknown.

I don't often wear jeans/trousers because it's nearly impossible to find a pair that fit! I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a love/hate relationship with trousers and would discuss in a future post. It's still something I want to discuss in a future post, but I'll supply a brief explanation here: plumber's rear is very unattractive and most trousers give me that effect. These jeans, as long as they are belted and shirt tucked, work for me. Of course, the longer jacket provides additional confidence.

THE DETAILS
Thrifted items:
Jacket: Vintage J.G. Hook here
Belt:  Brighton here
Shoes:  Carlos Santana here

Other items:
Santana Shirt: Unknown from my closet
Jeans: White House/Black Market
Necklace/Cuff Bracelet: Relativity

Thanks for viewing! Comments/critiques are welcome.

Norma VanV

6 comments:

  1. I generally don't like trousers - jeans or otherwise - either. Skirts are so much easier! And so much more interesting!

    I like your adaptation of Marilyn's adage. I'm always looking for that balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. From photos on your blog, it appears you always find that balance! I struggle with it.

      Delete
  2. I got a kick out of this post because I could relate to two points....the difficulty of finding jeans/pants that fit properly and outfit adjustments. Jeans are made sooooo low cut in the back and I cannot stand feeling like I am exposed back there. I was wearing higher waisted jeans altogether, but I'm finding that I'm liking them a bit lower and want to try them with a belt. It is a serious issue finding just the right coverage. I try on a million pair at the thrift store and sometimes none of them work right. Also, I notice so many times after I've photographed that something is wonky with my outfit. I try to fix it before I leave the house IF I've had a chance to take a quick peek at the photos first and realize what's off. Unfortunately, those are the only photos I have for the blog though....the bloopers ones. ha
    You look sooooo rockin' chic today, Norma! The belt, t-shirt, and jacket sure look great with these jeans. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! Thanks for the compliments!
      I know what you mean about trying on a gazillion pairs! I finally found a pair of jeans that fit last week at Goodwill. I got really excited that I finally found some trousers to fit, but once I got home with them I'm not sure how to style them; they're a little different. I'll post a pic this week.

      Delete
  3. Norma you rock! I am not sure about the necklace (it's beautiful btw) I can't make up my mind if I like it better with or without the necklace. Love the heels and the belt is darling!!!! Yeah finding the right jeans is a challenge. And for an affordable price. You look great in jeans and should wear them more often.

    hugs
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lenya! I know what you mean about the necklace. Sometimes I really struggle when it comes to accessorizing.
      I love wearing jeans and trousers, but I have sooooo much trouble finding ones that fit well.

      Delete